Since people have been spending more time at home, they’ve been looking for new areas of their property to keep themselves occupied. Often, this has put them face-to-face with poison ivy, oak, or sumac. These and other similar plants are in the toxicodendron genus, and they produce an oil that is extremely irritating to the skin. Toxicodendron is found in nearly every part of the United States.

You can learn what these plants look like with a quick internet search. Being able to identify them is, of course, the first step toward avoiding them! If you do need to remove them from your property, though, it may be a good idea to wear gloves, as well as long sleeves and pants, and then washing these immediately after you’re done working.

One last thing – never burn toxicodendron! The smoke from these plants can cause serious issues if it gets into your lungs or eyes. Of course, your neighbor may not be quick to forgive you if it gets into his property, too.

error: Content is protected !!